Log in with your email here

Translate

Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Author of the Week - Myne Whitman in another Romance

1.            Your book ‘A Love Rekindled’ has been on the radar    recently, can you tell Logos Audibles blog (LAB) about yourself?
I am a Nigerian blogger, writer and poet. I live in Seattle with my husband and write full time. I write mostly romance and love poems though recently I have been trying my pen at literary short stories. I am currently working on my next novel, also a romance. I blog at www.mynewhitmanwrites.com, I am on twitter as @Myne_Whitman and www.facebook.com/Myne.Whitman.

I was born at the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital Enugu, Nigeria and I grew up in that city till my middle secondary school. I attended Ekulu Primary School, Queens School Enugu, Special Science School Agulu and Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka. I remember as a child studying a lot, reading everything I could lay my hands on, and then trying to play the rest of the time. My mother was a school teacher and my father worked for the electoral commission, so the love of reading and education came from them and from the environment of Enugu, which is a part an academic and civil service city.

This early background made me very cosmopolitan because I went to school with people from all across the country and outside. Reading a lot makes me sometimes come across as quiet but I do like a good loud debate too, having watched my father and his friends talk politics and football. In three words, I will describe myself as friendly, caring and fun-loving. I realized early on through books that it was possible to be whoever and do whatever you wanted to do. I learnt to stretch my wings even further when I first left the country. I have been a teacher, NGO consultant, banker, skate-hire attendant, and researcher and have worked for the government both in Nigeria and Scotland.

2.      What inspired your work of art and tell us if you have previous books published.
A Love Rekindled is my second book after the first titled, A Heart to Mend. It was inspired by wanting to write stories that Nigerians could relate to as themselves, and one that could get them wanting to read more.

3.      How long did it take you to write this particular book and get it published?
It took a year plus.


4.      To what extent can you say your personality and or experience is reflected in your work?
Most authors will tell you that they are embedded in their work. This is the same for me. There is a small piece of me in all my characters.

5.      Who are your publishers and how can you appraise them in relation to birthing your dream and adding value?
I am my own publisher. I use services from companies that offer them in terms of editing, printing, distribution, etc. But when it comes to the copyright of my work, and all aspects of the creativity like covers, timing, and marketing, I make all the decisions.

6.      In 3 sentences, what is your message to the world through your romance writing?
First and foremost I wanted to write a story of love and finding oneself. I also felt that there were not were not enough romance novels set in contemporary Nigeria, and that I could do something to change that. Therefore, a lot of these themes in my novels are motivated by events or stories I’ve heard or read about in real life Nigeria of the last few years. The characters and issues dealt with in the book are therefore meant to be relevant for contemporary life and relationships. Again, I have always been intrigued by the principle of unconditional love and want to more people to come on 
board.

7.      Which author(s) have influenced your writings so far?
Authors like Buchi Emecheta, Nora Roberts and Danielle Steele are role models.

8.      In what formats can we get your book? (here we mean whether print, audio, e-book, movie trailer et al)
Except for audio, my books can be found in all the other available formats. As well as paperback, the two are eBooks on Kindle, Nook, and the iBookstore. They are also mobile apps available across several platforms and app marketplaces. I also have their trailers on Youtube and other video platforms.

9.      What can you say about Logos Audibles services that help writers with editing, proofreading, transcription, subtitling etc as well our campaign to help authors produce their work in audio as well. Do you think it would encourage writing as well as the reading culture in Africa?

I think they are offering a great service. I’m of the opinion that quality stories should be made available in as many formats as possible so as to reach as many people as are interested in them.

Continue after the jump



1  Where can we purchase your books in Nigeria and beyond?
My books can be found in major bookstores and outlets in Lagos, Abuja, Asaba, Enugu, Port Harcourt, Maiduguri, Kaduna, and online on iqrabooks.com.ng, debonairbookstore.com, walahi.com and Kalahari.com.ng.

1       Which other books have you published and what are we to watch out for?
A Heart to Mend is my first book. There are two books taking up space in my head now. I hope one of them is ready next year. Also I will continue to work to promote the NaijaStories.com website as a means to raising an army of readers among the young people in Nigeria, as well a band of authors to supply that market. With time, I intend to set up a publishing firm to act as a bridge between the two.

1     What can you say have been your major challenges in publishing your books so far?
I think it has to be marketing and promoting my books. I have been very lucky to have a lot of support from my readers and so I’m facing that challenge squarely.

1     What is your view about self-publishing especially in Nigeria? What could be your recommendation for helping more Nigerians get their books published?
Self-publishing is a very viable option for getting books to the market, especially in a place like Nigeria where publishers are very scarce. My recommendation to aspiring authors is to make sure they have a ready and marketable book by hiring the necessary professionals to edit, and print their books and then do their best to spread the word to get as many readers as they can.

1      What do you say to budding writers and your readers in general?
I am very grateful to my readers, and without them I wouldn’t be where I am today. To the budding writers, I think they should keep writing till they complete a collection of shorts or a novel, and work at editing their manuscripts till opportunity comes knocking.

1     Do you have anything to say that you’ve been longing to communicate to your world? 
I just want to say thank you to everyone, and thanks to Logos for this opportunity. I appreciate it.

 Logos Audibles ..amplifying your thoughts correctly

2 comments:

Natural Nigerian said...

Hey Myne, interesting read. I get to know a bit about the girl behind the blog/book.

I did not realise you were Igbo. Not that it matters as we are all Nigerians anyhoo.

P.Dogg.Roberts said...

If you liked Myna's book then you might like the interview she did with AuthorHouse, her publishers. http://www.authorhouseauthors.com/myne_whitman.php